Saturday, June 9, 2012

Eat Right For Your Blood Type.......

If you know me, you know that I don't believe in diets.  I believe in eating right and exercising (as difficult as it may be) as a lifestyle; something you can maintain.  I have researched the blood-type diet only because I found it interesting and pretty nutritionally sound.  Below is a tiny summary of what the diet entails.

The majority of the population has Blood Type O. ("The Hunter") Here the prescribed diet is low-carbohydrate, high in proteins (such as meat and fish), and low in dairy products. Foods to avoid are avocados, brazil nuts, and oranges. Type O should also engage in lots of exercise.
Blood Type A ("The Agrarian or Cultivator") should avoid red meat, eat plenty of fish and vegetables, with a low dairy intake. Light exercise only.
Blood Type B ("The Nomad") should avoid chicken and bacon, eat plenty of meat and dairy, some fish, and plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Blood Type AB ("The Enigma") combines the A and B diets.

So with my little knowledge of this diet, I gave it a try.  My blood type is A, "The Cultivator."  I am supposed to eat a pretty vegetarian, low dairy diet with plenty of plant-based foods.  That was pretty easy for me as I eat a huge assortment of veggies and fruits everyday. (Sometimes I wished I lived on a farm!)  I enjoy fish and don't eat a ton of dairy.  The whole "light exercise only" was obviously not feasible for me.  I love to exercise and consider it part of my life and livelihood.   So after about 3 weeks of this, I concluded that I hate this diet!  Although I wanted to believe that there was a customizable diet out there for everyone, and I wanted to believe that this diet was scientifically sound, it was neither.  After more and more digging and reading, I found very little evidence/studies to prove this diet would be effective for the majority of people. 
What I urge you to do is be aware of how different foods affect your body.  I do admit that lots of meat just doesn't seem to sit well with me and I do so much better with loads of vegetables everyday.  My body is super sensitive to sodium and sugar but healthy higher-carb foods and healthy fats do great things for my body.  I think it's all about getting to know what works best for you individually and BEING CONSISTENT! 

WEEK 117 Weight: 119.8
WORKOUT:
Monday: 9 mile run outside (8.24 pace)
Tuesday: 3 rounds of Spartacus II
Wednesday: 7 mile run outside (8.16 pace-to the cows)
Thursday: Core Synergistics
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: 3 rounds of Spartacus, 1 mile run at 7.5 (tired today....)

No comments:

Post a Comment